Tax Advice for Expats: Understanding the IRS and US Tax Return Non-Resident Obligations


Navigating the intricacies of tax requirements can be a challenging task for anyone, but it becomes even more complex when you’re an expatriate living in the UK on behalf of the US. As an expatriate, understanding your obligations to both the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the UK tax authorities is crucial. In this article, we’ll delve into ‘tax advice for expats,’ provide an overview of ‘what’s the IRS,’ and shed light on ‘US tax return non-resident’ obligations. To guide you through this multifaceted subject, we turn to the expertise of Xerxes Associates LLP, a team of US and UK tax advisors.

Tax Advice for Expats

Expatriates, or expats, are individuals who temporarily or permanently reside in a country other than their home country. If you are a US expat living in the UK, you may be subject to the tax laws of both nations. It’s essential to seek expert tax advice to ensure that you comply with all relevant tax regulations while minimising your tax liability. Xerxes Associates LLP, a team of experienced US and UK tax advisors, can provide tailored tax advice for expats to help you understand your obligations and make informed financial decisions.

What’s the IRS?

The IRS, or Internal Revenue Service, is the United States government agency responsible for collecting taxes and enforcing tax laws. For US citizens and residents, the IRS has the authority to tax their worldwide income, regardless of where they live. US expats are no exception. The IRS requires US citizens abroad to file annual tax returns, report their foreign income, and pay taxes on it.

US Tax Return Non-Resident Obligations

As a US expat living in the UK, you may qualify as a non-resident for US tax purposes. This status depends on various factors, including the duration and purpose of your stay in the UK. Non-residents are not subject to the same tax rules as US residents. Instead, they typically report only their US-sourced income to the IRS. Some common examples of US-sourced income include rental income from US properties, dividends from US corporations, and income from US businesses.

Xerxes Associates LLP: Your Trusted Tax Advisors

To navigate the complexities of US tax return non-resident obligations and ensure that you remain compliant with both US and UK tax laws, Xerxes Associates LLP is here to help. With their specialised knowledge in US and UK tax matters, they can provide personalised guidance tailored to your unique situation.

Here are a few key services provided by Xerxes Associates LLP:

Tax Planning: The experts at Xerxes Associates LLP can help you develop a tax-efficient strategy that considers both your US and UK tax obligations, ultimately reducing your tax liability.

US Tax Return Preparation: They can assist in preparing and filing your US tax returns, ensuring that all income sources are accurately reported and tax credits are maximised.

Compliance Assistance: Xerxes Associates LLP can help you navigate the complexities of international tax treaties, tax credits, and other mechanisms to ensure full compliance with both US and UK tax laws.

Tax Resolution: If you face any tax issues or disputes with the IRS, Xerxes Associates LLP can represent your interests and work towards a resolution on your behalf.


As a US expat living in the UK, understanding your ‘tax advice for expats’ is crucial for a smooth financial journey. The ‘IRS’ is responsible for collecting taxes from US citizens, including expatriates, while ‘US tax return non-resident’ obligations determine your tax liability in the US. With the expertise of Xerxes Associates LLP, you can receive tailored guidance to meet your tax obligations, minimise your tax liability, and ensure compliance with both US and UK tax laws. Don’t hesitate to seek professional assistance to make your expat experience a financially sound one.

Contact us via or fill out our contact form to discuss your expat tax situation with us.

Read more here: Xerxes US Expats Living & Working in the UK Blog.