Demystifying FBAR FinCEN, Dual Residency Tax, and UK/US Tax Treaty Capital Gains: US Expat Tax Rules Explained by Xerxes Associates LLP

Navigating the intricate landscape of US tax requirements as a US expat living in the United Kingdom can be a complex and challenging endeavour. In this article, presented by Xerxes Associates LLP, a trusted US and UK tax advisory firm, we will explore key aspects of US expat tax rules, including FBAR FinCEN reporting, dual residency tax considerations, the role of international tax accountants in London, and the implications of the UK/US tax treaty on capital gains.

FBAR FinCEN Reporting

Understanding the Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR) FinCEN requirements is crucial for US expatriates in the UK.

Reporting Threshold: US citizens living in the UK must file an FBAR FinCEN report if their aggregate foreign financial accounts exceed $10,000 at any time during the year. This includes bank accounts, investment accounts, and other financial assets.

Filing Deadline: The deadline for FBAR FinCEN reporting is April 15th, with an automatic extension until October 15th for expatriates residing abroad. Complying with these deadlines is essential to avoid penalties.

Dual Residency Tax Considerations

US expats often grapple with dual residency tax considerations, as they may be considered residents in both the US and the UK.

Tax Treaties: The UK/US tax treaty provides rules to determine tax residency, ensuring that individuals are not double-taxed on the same income. It helps allocate taxing rights and provides mechanisms for avoiding double taxation.

Form 8833: US expatriates may need to file Form 8833 to claim treaty benefits, specifying which country has the primary right to tax specific types of income. It’s crucial to navigate this process to optimise tax positions.

US Expat Tax Rules

US expat tax rules require US citizens living abroad to report their worldwide income to the IRS. Several provisions exist to help expatriates minimise their tax liability.

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE): The FEIE allows US expats to exclude a portion of their foreign-earned income from US taxation. Understanding the qualifications and limitations of the FEIE is essential.

Foreign Tax Credit (FTC): The FTC provides a credit for taxes paid to a foreign country. Knowing how to apply the FTC to reduce US tax liability is crucial for US expats.

International Tax Accountants in London

Expert guidance from international tax accountants in London is invaluable for US expatriates seeking to navigate the complexities of US tax requirements.

Expertise: International tax accountants possess specialised knowledge in both US and UK tax codes, allowing them to provide tailored advice that optimises tax positions and ensures compliance.

Compliance: They help expats meet the reporting requirements of both countries, reducing the risk of penalties and audits.

UK/US Tax Treaty Capital Gains

The UK/US tax treaty significantly impacts the taxation of capital gains for US expats in the UK.

Reduced Withholding Tax: The treaty provides reduced withholding tax rates on capital gains, which can be advantageous for US expatriates selling UK-based assets.

Planning Opportunities: Understanding the treaty’s provisions on capital gains allows US expats to make informed decisions regarding investments and asset sales.


US expat tax rules encompass various complexities, including FBAR FinCEN reporting, dual residency tax considerations, the role of international tax accountants in London, and the impact of the UK/US tax treaty on capital gains. With Xerxes Associates LLP’s expert guidance, US expatriates can navigate these intricacies, optimise their financial situation, and ensure compliance with US tax requirements. Staying informed and seeking professional advice are the keys to a successful US expat tax strategy, ensuring that you make the most of available provisions and avoid potential pitfalls.

Contact us via or fill out our contact form to discuss your expat tax situation with us.

Read more here: Xerxes US Expats Living & Working in the UK Blog.